WELCOME TO PESA
The purpose of our Society is to promote research and teaching in philosophy of education. More...
PESA CONFERENCE 2013
The 43rd Annual Conference of the Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia, Inc. will be held at the Melbourne Graduate School of Education, University of Melbourne, Australia, from 6-9 December 2013.
Conference theme: Measuring up in Education. More...
General information about PESA conferences and a history of recent events are available on this website.
THE FUTURE OF PHILOSOPHY OF EDUCATION IN AUSTRALASIA...
The Future Development of the Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia as a Research Organisation: A Position Paper. Peter Roberts, University of Canterbury, New Zealand.
PESA President, Peter Roberts, reflects on the state of affairs in philosophy of education, with particular reference to the Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia (PESA). Developments in PESA are examined as part of a broader international picture, and possible futures for the Society are pondered. The paper falls into three broad parts: the first provides an account of PESA’s evolution as a research organisation; the second draws on the work of Pierre Hadot (1995) to consider what it might mean to talk of philosophy of education as a way of life in the contemporary world (with implications for PESA); the third outlines a number of initiatives and recommendations as a starting point for a discussion with members about possibilities and priorities for the Society in the years ahead.
PESA members interested in philosophy of education and in the future of the society should engage with the full paper. Log in using the menu at left and download the paper here...
PESA MEMBERS ONLINE ACCESS TO EPAT AND OTHER JOURNALS
From 2013, PESA celebrates a new partnership with Routledge (part of the Taylor and Francis Group) as publisher of the society's journal Educational Philosophy and Theory (EPAT). Routledge recognises EPAT as a prestigious international journal, making significant contributions to the understanding of educational philosophy, publishing articles and special issues on a broad range of contextual topics in educational research and theory from influential and respected authors.
As part of the new contract with Routledge, PESA members have online access to four additional education journals. Full text articles for current and back issues are available free to members who are logged into the PESA website. Use the 'For Members' menu at left or go to Journals Online.
As well as our own journal, Educational Philosophy and Theory, members have online access to:
- British Journal of Sociology of Education - http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/cbse20/current
- Comparative Education - http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/cced20/current
- Journal of Curriculum Studies - http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/tcus20/current
- Journal of Education Policy - http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/tedp20/current
And to Taylor and Francis' abstracts database:
- Education Research Abstracts Online - http://www.educationarena.com/era/
SCHOLARSHIP 2012 ANNOUNCEMENT
Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia (PESA) Scholarships for 2012 announced
Professor Jānis Ozolins, Scholarship Manager for the Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia (PESA) has announced the winners of the PESA doctoral scholarships for 2012. More...
EPAT EDITOR MICHAEL A. PETERS ANSWERS THE QUESTIONS: VIDEO INTERVIEW
As Editor of Educational Philosophy and Theory, Michael answers a number of questions about the journal, as part of a series that Routledge is conducting with the editors of some of its key Education journals. The interviews are aimed at students, educational researchers, academics and interested others. More...
Perspectives and Limits of Dialogism in Mikhail Bakhtin (15-17 Jan, 2014)
Dialogue at the boundaries: The Fourth International Interdisciplinary Conference on Perspectives and Limits of Dialogism in Mikhail Bakhtin.
The University of Waikato (Te Whare Wānanga o Waikato) and Waikato-Tainui College for Research and Development are delighted to be hosting this major international conference. This is a conference for anyone (across disciplines) who shares an interest in the potential of Bakhtinian philosophy, theory and thought for contemporary scholarship and practice.
Dates: 15-17 January 2014 (Wednesday-Friday)
Where: Waikato-Tainui tribal complex, Hopuhopu, Ngaruawahia, in the rural heart of Waikato, New Zealand.
|The Society publishes the prestigious journal Educational Philosophy and Theory. Our journal is rated A+ by ERA. Read more...|
PESA scholarships further the interests of the Society by encouraging doctoral students to engage with philosophical issues in education. The value of each scholarship is AUD 10,000 and up to two are awarded each year. All enquiries about scholarships should be sent to the Scholarships Manager. For a gallery of past recipients, see the PESA Scholarships page on this website. For full details, including eligibility criteria, application process, and presentation of awards, download the PESA Doctoral Scholarships Policy. (PDF)
Login with your member ID for the latest society news and upcoming events - see the Members' Newsletter link in the For Members menu at left (current issue October 2012).
- Free subscription to Educational Philosophy and Theory (print version: 12 issues per year, and access to the online version). This is the official journal of PESA.
- Access to other online journals from early 2013
- British Journal of Sociology of Education
- Comparative Education
- Journal of Curriculum Studies
- Journal of Education Policy
- Discounted conference fees
- Opportunities to publish academic works cooperatively
- Doctoral scholarships and research grants
- Notification about conferences, events, and publications
- Collegial French things like bonhomie, bon viveur, and joie de vivre
Join PESA online
- Use the Quick Links menu at left to join PESA online.
- Enter your personal details and membership type.
- Enter credit card information in secure payment gateway (PESA does not store your credit card details).
- Print your own invoice immediately.
- Membership is provisional until confirmed by the PESA Executive.
Use the For Members menu at left to login as a current member and renew your membership.